Muirlands Middle School
Muirlands Middle School is the only public middle school in La Jolla, serving students grade 6 through 8. The school, with just over 1,000 students (1,048) has a 22:1 ratio of students per teacher.
Home of the Dolphins, Muirlands Middle School’s mission is to “prepare highly literate students to meet
the challenges of a global and technological society by creating a setting that meets the needs of all
ability levels and learning styles, maintains high standards, enhances self-esteem, and provides a broad
range of educational experiences.”
Goals of the school include:
- Infusing literacy and state content standards into all curricular areas.
- Raising all students’ achievement above proficiency or to meet or exceed standards.
- Promoting student involvement in school and the community.
- Expanding communication and involvement between local parents, Voluntary Ethnic Enrollment
- Program (VEEP) parents, and the school.
- Increasing teacher collaboration across grade levels and disciplines.
The school has an active Foundation, regularly fund-raising and orchestrating community building
events for students, staff and parents. Additionally, there are a number of after school clubs and classes,
from French Club and Math Counts to Gleek Club and LJRadio, as well as an After School Computer Lab.